Okay, so a little off the normal topic tonight but here’s just something for a bit of fun and debate. Here’s what I consider to be the top ten boxing movies of all time, in no particular order:
10. The Champ – John Voight as retired fighter making a comeback to support his kid. If the end doesn’t make you cry then you have no soul.
9. Hurricane – biopic of Reuben Carter, one time contender wrongly arrested and imprisoned for murder. Shocking tale of racism and corruption.
8. Ali – Will Smith’s performance as ‘The Greatest’ in Michael Mann’s moody tale of Muhammed Ali’s controversial life and career.
7. The Fighter – the rags to riches tale of Micky Ward and his deadbeat brother Dicky Eckuland.
6. Somebody Up There Likes Me – True story of Rocky Graziano as played by Paul Newman. Shows the murky side of boxing and it’s connections with the mob.
5. The Boxer – Daniel Day Lewis as ex-com trying to escape sectarian violence through an all-welcome boxing gym.
4. Million Dollar Baby – Clint Eastwood stars and directs as a manager and cut- man who guides a determined female boxer to fame, but at what ultimate cost?
3. Rocky – inspired by the Wepner v Ali fight, the story of an under dog who is given a million to one shot for the title. All time movie classic!
2. Raging Bull – warts and all biopic of troubled boxer Jake LaMotta. DeNiro is legendary in his portrayal of the self- destructing pugilist.
1. When We Were Kings – Stunning documentary showing all aspects of the Rumble in the Jungle between Ali and Foreman. Compelling viewing.
So what do you guys think? Have I missed any out?